Thursday, November 25, 2010

I have not blogged for almost two months because life has been intense, mostly in wonderful ways but still intense. I have journaled volumes, but haven't written publicly. Thanks, Helen, for reminding me to post.

I am traveling for the Thanksgiving weekend. It's nearing the end of the semester, so I have brought a lot of material to read and an intention to write. On the airplane, squeezed between window and surrounding passengers, I extracted a sheaf of articles and book excerpts and began to read, highlighter and pen in one hand. This week we are reading reconciling reconstructions in soteriology (theology of redemption and reconciliation).

One of the many blessings of seminary is copious opportunity for transformational experiences. Whether we ask for them or not, desire them or avoid them, pray for them or beg for a peaceful interlude without them, these opportunities arise and insist that we pay attention.

When I dove into my stack of reading while packed into an airplane on Wednesday, I really expected to get some homework done. I expected to check off another couple boxes on my Google task list. I really did not expect enter a book excerpt with one understanding of the world and how I fit into it and turn the last page with a radically different understanding.

Ahh...transformation. Once I sought you. Now I believe you are stalking me.

One little book chapter, forty-two pages, of Parker and Nakashima Brock's book, Proverbs of Ashes : Violence, Redemptive Suffering, and the Search for What Saves Us, and how I think about how fit in the world is totally changed.

I see transformation as a blessing. I am growing into my full authentic self as I accept and even sometimes nurture personal transformation. But it isn't easy. As joyous and wonderful as it is, change is hard. I don't recommend it at 37,000 feet in a crowded plane full of holiday travelers.

Or maybe that's the perfect place for that experience.


1 comment:

  1. Was it a very emotional experience or a more intellectual one? I'm just trying to picture you, crammed amongst holiday travelers, having a transformation at 37,000 feet. Did anyone look at you funny? Anyway, I love how books challenge us and make us grow like that. My convictions are constantly being reshaped and refined by what I read. I'm glad for you that your seminary experience has been fruitful and transforming. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete